School Councils play a key role in Victorian government schools. The School Council supports the Principal to provide the best possible educational outcomes for students.
The role of School Council as outlined in the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 is one of helping to set the long term future for the school and maintaining oversight of the school’s operation. The Principal is responsible for the leadership of the school and acts as the Executive Officer of Council.
School Council responsibilities can include:
- Contributing to the development of the Strategic Plan.
- Approving the annual budget.
- Working with the school to develop, review and update policies.
- Representing the views of the school community.
- Arranging for items needed for the running of the school.
- Raising funds to support school initiatives & programs.
- Making sure the school grounds and buildings are maintained.
- Creating positive interest in the school within the community.